firefox elf-hack
Mathijs Kwik
2013-05-15 11:55:53 UTC
Hi all,

Our current expression for firefox [1] contains the "--disable-elf-hack"
configureFlag. By default this hack is enabled and is supposed to
improve performance [2]. After a bit of googling, I found that old
versions of firefox had issues with this hack, so probably this is the
reason it got disabled. However, these issues are fixed and I've been
running with firefox20 _with_ the elf hack for over a week now.

Can we remove this configure flag and stick with the default (hacked)
behavior? Or should this be done conditionally for certain
architectures?

Thanks,
Mathijs
Mathijs Kwik
Mathijs
Eelco Dolstra
2013-05-15 13:05:10 UTC
Hi,
Post by Mathijs Kwik
Our current expression for firefox [1] contains the "--disable-elf-hack"
configureFlag. By default this hack is enabled and is supposed to
improve performance [2]. After a bit of googling, I found that old
versions of firefox had issues with this hack, so probably this is the
reason it got disabled. However, these issues are fixed and I've been
running with firefox20 _with_ the elf hack for over a week now.
Can we remove this configure flag and stick with the default (hacked)
behavior?
Sure. Maybe you can update to Firefox 21 while you're at it ;-)
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/
Mathijs Kwik
2013-05-16 07:23:04 UTC
Hrm,

That proves to be harder than I hoped.
I got it to build, but it won't start yet (but gives no errors/warnings).
So I will have to dig deeper.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Eelco Dolstra
Post by Eelco Dolstra
Hi,