firefox package questions
Roland Koebler
2017-06-19 10:25:43 UTC
Hi,

I have recently installed NixOS on a PC and noticed some unexpected
things with Firefox on NixOS:

- Up to date versions:
Currently, NixOS only contains outdated Firefox-versions (53.0.3, 52.1.2esr);
there are newer official versions since about 1 week.
How long does it usually take until the newest version gets packaged?

- Name:
I installed firefox-esr, but the started Firefox called itself "Nightly".
I searched the mailinglist, and it looks like it is called "Nightly"
because it is built by NixOS/Hydra.
I think this is irritating for most users; since the name probably
cannot be changed to "Firefox", it would be nice if it would be
mentioned e.g. in the Nix-manual (or maybe in the Firefox-About-Dialog?).

- Data choices:
After starting Firefox, it tells me:
"Nightly automatically sends some data to Mozilla so that we can
improve your experience. [Choose What I Share]"

When I click on "Choose What I Share", I get to the data-choices-
preferences-dialog (Preferences -> Advanced -> Data Choices),
but this dialog is empty.

So, does the NixOS-Nightly-Firefox automatically send data?
Is there a way to prevent this?
And is this documented somewhere?

- Parallel install of esr and newest version:
I would like to install both firefox and firefox-esr and access both
in the same environment (without switching environments).
Would it be possible to e.g. add a "firefox-esr"-executable-symlink by
firefox-esr, so that it works as follows?
- $ firefox
starts the newest version if both firefox and firefox-esr are installed,
or the newest or the esr version if only one is installed
- $ firefox-esr
always starts the esr-version

thanks
Roland
j***@fastmail.fm
2017-06-19 10:52:04 UTC
Hi,
[ ...]
Currently, NixOS only contains outdated Firefox-versions (53.0.3, 52.1.2esr);
there are newer official versions since about 1 week.
How long does it usually take until the newest version gets packaged?
Both the release branch and master carry firefox 54. Which channel are
following?
Roland Koebler
2017-06-19 11:00:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by j***@fastmail.fm
Post by Roland Koebler
Currently, NixOS only contains outdated Firefox-versions (53.0.3, 52.1.2esr);
there are newer official versions since about 1 week.
How long does it usually take until the newest version gets packaged?
Both the release branch and master carry firefox 54. Which channel are
following?
The default branch after installing NixOS:
# nix-channel --list
nixos https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-17.03

The package-search on http://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html also only shows
the outdated versions.

thanks
Roland
j***@fastmail.fm
2017-06-19 11:19:28 UTC
Post by Roland Koebler
Hi,
Post by j***@fastmail.fm
Post by Roland Koebler
Currently, NixOS only contains outdated Firefox-versions (53.0.3, 52.1.2esr);
there are newer official versions since about 1 week.
How long does it usually take until the newest version gets packaged?
Both the release branch and master carry firefox 54. Which channel are
following?
# nix-channel --list
nixos https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-17.03
Unfortunately, the release channel has been blocked for a while; I
failed to realize how much it is lagging behind the release branch.
Unless you wish to pull nix expressions directly from the release
branch, there's
not much else to do than wait for the channel to catch up. That is, the
updates are there, they are just not being disseminated, for reasons
unrelated to firefox specifically.
Vladimír Čunát
2017-06-21 06:51:44 UTC
Post by Roland Koebler
I installed firefox-esr, but the started Firefox called itself "Nightly".
Firefox trademark policy does *not* allow (us) to distribute with the
brand for versions that we build ourselves. You may avoid that if you
build it on your machines. See
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/applications/networking/browsers/firefox/common.nix#L47

--Vladimir
Nicolas Pierron
2017-06-21 21:13:02 UTC
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Roland Koebler
Post by Roland Koebler
I installed firefox-esr, but the started Firefox called itself "Nightly".
I searched the mailinglist, and it looks like it is called "Nightly"
This is a branding issue.
We could technically do what Debian did, i-e to use the release
parameters with a different name.

Another option for you it to use the version pre-built by Mozilla,
which is available under the attribute firefox-bin.
Post by Roland Koebler
"Nightly automatically sends some data to Mozilla so that we can
improve your experience. [Choose What I Share]"
When I click on "Choose What I Share", I get to the data-choices-
preferences-dialog (Preferences -> Advanced -> Data Choices),
but this dialog is empty.
So, does the NixOS-Nightly-Firefox automatically send data?
Is there a way to prevent this?
And is this documented somewhere?
I added telemetry data to Firefox lately, so I can tell you that by
default telemetry is not sent on custom builds of Firefox.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Adding_a_new_Telemetry_probe#Setup_building

You can check the content sent to Mozilla by browsing "about:telemetry".
If you are still worried, you can browse "about:config" and search for
"toolkit.telemetry.enabled".
Post by Roland Koebler
I would like to install both firefox and firefox-esr and access both
in the same environment (without switching environments).
Would it be possible to e.g. add a "firefox-esr"-executable-symlink by
firefox-esr, so that it works as follows?
- $ firefox
starts the newest version if both firefox and firefox-esr are installed,
or the newest or the esr version if only one is installed
- $ firefox-esr
always starts the esr-version
1/ The simplest way, is to use the nix-shell to run firefox and to
make an alias to it:
alias firefox="nix-shell -p firefox-bin --run firefox"

But this method will not give you rollbacks.

2/ You can also install them in different user profile with the "-p"
option of nix-env.

3/ Or create a new derivation which only creates a wrapper and
"exec"-ute the binary that you want to start.
--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/