no network virtualbox install
Andreas Meyer
2017-04-04 19:28:38 UTC
Hello!

I installed a virtualbox using nixos-17.03.889.9626bc7db7-x86_64-linux.ova
but I have no networkconnection.

ifconfig shows the interface is there but
sudo ifconfig enp0s3 10.0.0.2 up has no effect.

:-(

Andreas
Bas van Dijk
2017-04-05 06:51:13 UTC
Hi Andreas,

You could enable DHCP by turning on:

networking.useDHCP

If you need to set a static address look into:

networking.interfaces.<name?>.ip4

Then after a nixos-rebuild switch your machine should have a network
connection provided that you configured the host the right way.

Bas

Andreas
Daniel Barlow
2017-06-21 10:35:33 UTC
Hi Andreas, did that fix it for you?

I've just run up against the same problem (or at least, the same symptoms)
and in my case the problem was in the Virtualbox settings: after importing
the appliance into Virtualbox I need to

* go to Machine -> Settings
* click the "Network" tab
* open the "Advanced" settings (click the triangle)
* check the checkbox labelled "Cable Connected"

This is using Virtualbox Version 5.0.20 r106931 on MacOS Sierra (10.12.4
(16E195))

I don't know whether Bas' fix would have worked because I was unable to run
nixos-rebuild switch because no networking ... but trying to run dhcpcd by
hand was reporting "no carrier" messages.

Hope this helps, if you don't already have it running

-dan
Post by Bas van Dijk
Hi Andreas,
networking.useDHCP